Sunday, December 12, 2010

Honesty Vs Diplomacy

During my childhood days one quote attracted me the most and that is 'Honesty is the best policy'. I was attracted to this particular quote as it was the most relevant one during the early days of my life. Whenever I used to lie I used to get my father's special 'ROOM TREATMENT'. My father usually says, "Everyone makes mistakes after all we are humans but you should have the guts to accept and rectify your mistakes instead of searching for methods to cover up the mistakes". I tried my best to follow his advice (most of the times after all I too was a regular normal kid who used to make many mistakes).

Coming to the present situation, I am in a dilemma whether my most prized quote still holds valid or not. The world we live in is full of lies. I started learning that Humans find it difficult to accept reality (truth) in some situations. I started get a feeling that a fabricated false is better than a painful truth. To legitimize this belief people introduced the term 'Diplomacy'. Now a days being diplomatic means covering the burning truth with a fabricated false. People got so used to the presented truth (partial or complete false)  that now no one cares about the actual truth. If you consider the issue of Wiki-leaks, most of the matters leaked by them are know to all or major portion of the society but no one dares accept it. They just try to push off the issue by saying that they are being diplomatic. If for being diplomatic is we all live for then what is the need for teaching kids the values of honesty or truthfulness???? 

Instead of misguiding the present generation kids, change the quote to "Diplomacy is the best policy".  Stop teaching them the need for being honest. Tell them that if you want to survive in this society then you should better be ready to lie to the society if situation asks for and also accept the lies ( or so called truths) of the society. 

Note: These are purely my ideas and I am not trying to force them on any one. Some may agree with me some may disagree. Comments are always welcomed.

2 comments:

  1. I googled honesty vs diplomacy and here I am. I agree with you. I do not want to sit on the fence and be all grey. I should be either black or white. Honesty is still the way to go...
    But writing a disclaimer
    IS TRYING TO B DIPLOMATIC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word diplomacy has a special meaning then.... Thanks for your view.

    ReplyDelete